1. Use stickers and document all school events: I use stickers that I created to add in school events. This is the first thing that I do when I get my new planner. Adding in school events for the year also means that I can wrap my head around what is coming.
2. Record all public holidays: Secondly, I always record the public holidays and days off school for the year. It helps me to plan my holidays as well as give me something to at least look forward to. Now I know my countdown days!
3. Decorate, decorate and decorate: Making your planner attractive may seem like a waste of time to some people. I find it calming and I find that it means I am proud of my planner. I want to use it! I actually want to look at it and use it.
4. Try and match your planner to your classroom theme: this year my lovely teaching partner and I chose the theme of Harry Potter. So a quick search of Etsy and I found some Harry Potter quote stickers. Then I simply cut them and stuck them in. I may sound (scratch that, I do sound) lame but I love a good classroom theme that is applied to every aspect of the room as well as displays.
5. Keep a great stash of sticky notes handy: Sticky notes are a vital key to keeping organised. Having a stash in your planner or close by means that you can quickly jot down notes. Someone give you a date? Jot it down on your post it note.
6. Design your own post its to suit what you need: I created a heap of post it note templates that suited the things that I need to do every week or even every day. I chose to add things like research, read, emails that I need to send as well as a space for things that I need to organise. I find these easy to print and the best part is that I can take them off and move them anytime that I need. If I don't do what is on the list for that day, I simply move it to the next.
7. Have a space for envelopes or pockets: Pockets and envelopes come in very handy because it means that you can store important information. I tend to store documents or passwords or things that I need to access frequently.
I know technology can do all of this at the drop of a hat. But there is something about creating and enhancing your own planner that works for me. I find it helps my memory because of the physical effort that I put in. I also find it relaxing. Whatever planner or diary you use, make the most of it. Play with it and enhance it in a way that you like! We would love to hear what others do with their planners.
#twocreativeteachers #planner #teacherplanner #organise #plannerstickers